Job Posting: Virginia Tech – Assistant Professor of Forest Biometrics
Job title: Assistant Professor of Forest Biometrics
Location: Blacksburg Area, Other – U.S.
Application close: Open until filled
The Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation at Virginia Tech invites applications for a 9-month, tenure-track, teaching and research position at the assistant professor level in Forest Biometrics. This position will support scholarship and teaching of forest biometrics, forest inventory, and sampling, as well as collaborative efforts in which these foundational concepts are connected to the science and management of forest resources.
- Teach undergraduate courses in forest biometrics, with additional opportunities to assist in teaching across a relatively broad spectrum of topics related to the forest biometrics discipline, e.g., field measurements skills, geospatial applications, growth and yield modeling, sampling, and experimental methods
- Develop and teach graduate-level coursework in forest biometrics and analytics, focusing on advanced topics including forest growth and yield modeling, forest sampling and measurements, estimation and forecasting, and the integration of complex data sets into statistical, mathematical, and computer modeling frameworks
- Develop a high quality and productive program of fundamental and applied research in forest biometrics and analytics with impacts aimed at the science and management of forest resources at local to global scales
- Collaborate with faculty and agency/industry colleagues on regionally, nationally, and/or globally relevant research that is informed by research in forest biometrics
- Provide outreach to private and public forest research and management concerns, forest landowners, industrial landowners, planners and policymakers, and/or science agencies
- Support research and graduate education programs with external grants and contracts.
- Advise/mentor undergraduate students and supervise graduate students
- Contribute to department, college, university, and external service/outreach